I have set up our SharePoint 2010 platform and when we were about to migrate our SharePoint 2007 sites and contents into the new platform, we noticed that the document titles are showing incorrectly in SharePoint 2010 search results for documents created with MS Word 2007. When I tested it more with a bunch of documents created with Word 2007, it was observed that actually search was picking up first fiew readable words within the document instead of picking document title (metadata) or filename if there is no title for the document. It looks like a new feature that MS added into SharePoint 2010 search. We have like 1000s of documents created with MS Word 2007 in our MOSS 2007 production which need to be migrted to new SharePoint 2010. This new feature almost make the search results unusable becuase the search result will show first few words from within the document and most of the documents will have the text “Table of Contents” as first readable normal text in the document. Just to test, I created some documents in Word 2007 providing the document title inside first page of the document in big bold letters and for some reason, search was omitting those text in big bold letters.
Fortunately, before we start migrating stuff from MOSS 2007, we found out a workaround for this. Even though Microsoft has not provided an option within SharePoint to turn this feature off, the configuration is kept inside Windows registry. It can be changed by performing the following steps in the app searver running SharePoint Search Service.
- Open registry for editing by typing “regedit.exe” in Start > Run
- Navigate to the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager]
- Change the hexadecimal value for EnableOptimisticTitleOverride to 0 (zero) on the right hand side.
- Restart SharePoint Search service by typing the following commands in command prompt.
- net stop osearch14
- net start osearch14
- Perform a full crawl
After the full crawl, document title will be displayed in search resutl for Word 2007 documents just like Word 2010 documents. I haven’t done much testing to check the consequeces of the registry change mentioned above.
Update [7-Apr-2011]: Confirmed with Microsoft that it is a valid workaround and it will not cause any issues with Search service. Microsoft is already working on a KB article describing this fix. Thanks to Thomas McDaniel (Senior Premier Field Engineer, Microsoft) for confirming this.